Thursday, September 17, 2009

Dalston report

We spent Sunday shooting pickups in Dalston. It was a long day, but very productive.
I wanted to fill in a few gaps we found in the editing. As I said previously this is my shorthand being rather too short.
It is amazing what a few shots will do to an edit. For example, in the final scene of this segment Claire watches Paul leave for work. This was shot from high, at a distance, too much of a distance to know who we are watching. We just needed a shot of Paul leaving the flat. I shot this from the top of stairs, as to suggest that here too this is Claire watching Paul.
The scene that followed has caused some confusion as well. When Claire is sure that Paul is gone she goes about erasing herself, removing all traces of herself from the flat and his life. But there was never enough detail for anyone to understand what was happening. I added another segment on Sunday, where Claire gathers up her clothes into a bin bag and throws them in the trash. Starting over again. Will this scene now make sense? Well I will need to show the new edit to a few people and find out.
In both these cases, given a larger budget you would simply shot them in the first place, but as I can only shoot what I am going to use I was happy to do it this way.
We also re shot scene and 8 and 9 to change the emphasis of this scene.
Yesterday Marc passed me the sound files and I synced them up with the rushes. Everything looks good. I spent yesterday with the edit, trying to piece it together. There are a few cuts which still need some more work, but overall what we did has been very effective.
Next steps. I now have more scheduling headaches. I am going to start writing a revised scene with Claire and Sophie, and a new character, and I will need to find this new actor. Then I will try to squeeze a day of shooting of this new scene in to October.

No comments: