Thursday, December 31, 2009

More reaction

So this week I showed the edit again. This was essentially the same edit I have already shown but for a few small details.
First I fixed the sound errors that plagued my showing to Jerry and Maria. I had to go back into Final Cut Pro and do it the hard way. Not easy, but at least it actually worked. I have now layered more sounds into the forest sequence at the end of Segment 2.
Second, I extended some sequences where I trimmed too closely.
John and Amelie had seen the first edit way back in January 2009, and it was their reaction that led me to the large revisions and extra scenes that I created this past year. So, on the one hand they were not seeing for the first time but at the same time they were sufficiently critical that they would not easily overlook problems. And of course it had been a year.
So first, they agreed that so many of the problems that were apparent in the first edit were solved. Claire now seems human, we see her on the rails, before she goes off the rails, and we understand the simple plot points, which were confusing before. So that this is a success. They had some minor issues with the pace. In the forest sequence there still too many shots and not enough development, and the same could be said for what I call the fourth segment, once Claire leaves her sister and goes back into the forest. Now these comments don't correspond to what Jerry and Maria or what David said, so I am now on that phase in a project, where the problems and solutions are not so obvious and clear. Could a few trims of a shot, or the removal of one or two shots solve the problem? Or would all the problems be solved by sound design? And then there is the question of the next phase of the project, in which I look for a co-producer to join me in finishing the post-production. Does this include finding an editor who would solve these problems? And how do I go about finding a co-producer? I am already looking towards this next part, but I still have to remember that I have a few production bits to sort out, a few inserts (JC will hate the thought), and some off-screen dialogue I need to write and record.
Still, I have to say that I feel I have come to the end of one part of this project. I sleep much better, my mind is clearer, I am thinking about the next project, and I imagine a weekend where I don't have anything to do with the Tidal Barrier project.

No comments: