Monday, February 01, 2010

Turning point

I have been struggling with this post for a few days, just finding the words to explain what I have been feeling. How to put it? I realised this morning that it wasn't so complicated.
It came out of the showing I had over a week ago. Isabella, Ana and Mark came over and I presented the latest edit. I had trimmed a little out of the first and third segments, remixed the sound in other parts, and added new sounds in other areas.
First, I felt more comfortable showing it to them, which I attribute to the fact that the majority of the pieces are in place. I always start a showing by listing out the missing pieces and this time the list was shorter and less critical.
Their was response was quite good. There was some criticism, some thought the pace too slow, but not everyone agreed. Mark thought perhaps, and rightly so, that instead of pace it might be an issue of rhythm, which is something I would leave for an editor. They did not agree on the meaning of this or that sequence, but they all had their own ideas, and since this has always been an open text, this was a great victory for me. They might for their own questions, but I had not confused them.
Fundamentally, the issues are all to do with post-production, whereas before the problems were to do with production, to what I needed to shoot.
It is true I have some more production work to do, some off-screen dialogue, the bedroom shots, which I have referred to as the Rothko shots, the odd shot we need to help with the passage of time and lead us into the next sequence. All told, about 1.5 days of production which I would like to do as soon as possible.
It is soon time to get on with the next phase of production, selling it. So soon this blog will now change, no longer about production, now more mundane tasks, meetings, trying to get money or interest from producers, funding bodies, film festivals, and sales agents.
Before that I think I need a break. I look back at this blog and I cannot believe that I started this in 2006! It really has consumed a large part of my life. I think I would like to set aside one month at least where I do nothing but the day job, have no obligations, no other project to finish, to have a normal life.
It is just part of my mental health. I have even been collecting material for my next project. I think that I need this, need my mind to rest from this project for a little while.

No comments: