Sunday, February 21, 2010

Where to...?

Before I finish the all the last of the production, all the final little bits, I have been thinking of the next steps. That is outside of what needs to happen in post-production.
After all the work that has gone into this I really need something with this film. I cannot imagine not making another film, but to what value if no one sees this one? At a minimum I need the film to be seen at some important film festivals. I don't expect to get into the big ones, or even the medium ones. I cannot expect to be in Cannes or Venice, or Rotterdam. I mean the smaller ones. So how?
Over a year ago I went to Cannes to meet sales agents. My thinking was to get interest as soon as possible from the people who will eventually sell the film. But then I began to have doubts. What sales agent would want to sell my film? I am completely unknown. At the same time sales agents get films into film festivals, so if they thought it had potential, or that I had future potential they would take a chance on spending time and money for not return. They would be thinking of sales for my next film, or the film after that.
Another plan: find a co-producer. This would be someone who believes in the film and myself, and would take it to the next level, to finish post-production, and then work to get it into film festivals. Finishing post-production doesn't mean that we have a 35mm print. We could finish on DigiBeta. Let's face it, unless I am exceeding lucky no one is going to put up the money to finish it on film.
The problem with finding a producer is where to start? There are so many people calling themselves producers. Even if someone has a credit it is hard to know who has done what, or if they were any good. I have a few leads, that is people I could approach for names which I will try. Otherwise I would be trolling IMDB, looking at films and sending off emails to people who I don't know and don't know me. This could take a long time and would be probably be fruitless.
Finally, another plan: to finish it myself, then go to the film festival programmers and try to convince them to show my film. This is of course the last resort.
Any of these will take a lot of effort, work, and time could easily fail. So which plan?

No comments: